- Keep potatoes where it's cool, dark and well-ventilated.
- The ideal temperature is 45 to 50 degrees. Temperatures over 50 degrees will cause sprouting and fast decay.
- Storage under 40 degrees will cause starches to convert to sugar, resulting in a "sweet" taste and the potatoes turning dark when fried.
- Too much light will turn potatoes green and make them taste bitter.
- To clean, scrub potatoes gently with a sponge or vegetable brush.
- When peeling, use a vegetable parer to keep the peelings thin because many of the nutrients are close to the skin.
- Sprinkle potatoes with lemon juice to keep them from turning brown.